My Nan (my mum's mum) would be on her feet all day and either was out getting shopping or in the kitchen cooking. She made an amazing Macaroni and Cheese, Cottage or Shepherd's pie, making baked goods and Christmas dinner was always delicious and this is from a once fussy child when it came to food.
Now I see why my Nan was continuously on her feet. Looking after a home, being a parent, going to work and trying to be super active, I find it hard to sit down and chill.
It is important though to sit down and be attentional. Enjoying a cup of tea on the sofa and not reading, not planning or writing just sitting down and take a tea break. Builders are famous for making sure they have a tea break because of the intensity of the work they have to do and so do we.
Both of my Grandparents were busy women. My Dads mum had three and my mums mum had 5 children and I have her body clock. No matter what time I would go to bed I still wake up early and I have learned to embrace it rather than be an hindrance and my Nan would wake up at 6am every morning making sure she took her tablets. She would did later in life would go back to bed but most of the time she'd be on her feet and looking after us her grandchildren. She was a family orientated person.
I admired her physicality because she didn't run, do weights she did housework, cooking and shopping. She was a bit of a gambler but she never smoked, drank and she'd had immaculate nails.
When I think about her I think what have I got to worry about? She experienced war and rationing but nothing ever stopped her and why I make sure I clean, read, sit down and not rush around. In September I a going to challenge myself to do things in silence and write a blog without noise, drink a cup of coffee without being on my laptop, go to a coffee shop and not browse on my phone or journal as I saw a women do that. I wrote a blog about it: https://everyonecanbuildacastle.com/2026/08/10/taking-the-time-to-just-enjoy-your-coffee-inc-weekly-cheat-sheet/
It is good to sit. Now going to watch some football as I write this blog and enjoy my third cup of tea for today.
Many thanks for reading,
Carrie X

No comments:
Post a Comment